A brandy called pisco is born
Pisco is a port on Peru’s central coast (250 km south of Lima) from which the liquor produced in the valleys of Ica, Pisco and Chincha was shipped, and it was therefore called "Aguardiente de Pisco". This is where the name of our distillate originates.
The town and port of Pisco was recorded on the first map of the South American coast by cartographer Diego Méndez in 1574. Its name was given by Pachacutec in reference to the birds of the area which he called “Piscu”, meaning bird in Quechua. Pisco, as a place name, dates back to the Inca conquest of the coast around 1450.
The oldest record of the spirit from Ica and Pisco is in the will of Pedro Manuel, "El Griego", dated April 31, 1613, in Ica and discovered by historian Lorenzo Huertas. Here, Pedro Manuel, states that he had: “thirty burney jars full of aguardiente, equivalent to one hundred and sixty ‘botijuelas’ (big bottles) of aguardiente, plus a barrel full of aguardiente, equivalent to thirty ‘botijuelas’ of said aguardiente.”
Other records of Peru’s aguardiente date from the first third of the 17th century from the notes of Pedro de León Portocarrero, 'The Portuguese Jew', discovered and published by the Argentine historian Boleslao Lewin. In these he stated: "they make a lot of brandy in Peru and its very good."
Bernabé Cobo, in his History of the New World, also points out that, when he lived in Pisco around 1625, aguardiente was one of the products obtained from the vine.